Interim Bylaws and Standing Rules
NAME, PURPOSE, GOVERNANCE
1. The name of this caucus shall be American Federation of
Teachers (AFT) Peace and Justice Caucus (AFT P & J).
2. The purpose of this caucus shall be to provide a mechanism
through which AFT members can actively work for the promotion of
peace and social justice with a special emphasis on education.
3. The AFT P&J Caucus shall be governed by these bylaws and
standing rules and such other rules and actions the Annual Delegate
Caucus and the Governing Board may make consistent therewith.
Article II. MEMBERSHIP
1. There shall be two classifications of membership: active
a. Any member, in any category of membership, of the
American Federation of Teachers who shall agree to subscribe to the
purpose of the Caucus, abide by the governance documents, and, upon
payment of the prescribed annual dues, shall be eligible for active membership in the AFT P&J.
b. Associate membership shall be open to all persons who
support the purposes of the AFT P&J Caucus, but are not eligible for
3. Rights and Privileges of Membership
An active member of the AFT P&J shall have the following rights
a. To hold an elective or appointive office in the caucus
b. The right to vote on issues before the caucus and in
elections for officers.
c. All rights and privileges accorded to active members of the
d. The right to a membership card and receipt upon payment of
his/her annual dues.
e. An associate member shall not have the right to vote or hold
elective or appointive office.
4. Term of membership
a. The term of membership shall be annual with a period
expiring one year from the date of dues payment.
Article III . OFFICERS
1. Officers: The officers of the AFT P&J shall be the
following: Chairperson, Vice Chairperson (or co-Chairperson), and
Secretary/Treasurer. These officers shall serve as the Steering
2. Qualifications: A candidate for office shall be an
active member of the AFT P&J.
3. Method of Election Officers shall be nominated by any
member in good standing, including self nomination, and elected by a
majority of those eligible participants who are in attendance at the
Annual Delegate Caucus.
4. Duties and Responsibilities
a. The Chairperson (or co-chairpersons) shall have the
following duties and responsibilities:
1) To preside at all regular meetings of the AFT P&J, the
steering committee and the Annual Meeting.
2) Appoint chairs and members of all standing and special
3) Appoint a parliamentarian.
4) Be the spokesperson(s) and official representative of the
5) Call special meetings of the Caucus.
6) Perform all duties usually prescribed for this office and
those designated by the Steering Committee.
7) Shall have organizational and structural oversight.
b. The Vice-Chairperson shall have the following duties and
1) Assume all duties and responsibilities of the chairperson
upon absence, resignation or inability of the Chairperson to perform
2) Shall have publication oversight of the Caucus newsletter if
one is created.
3) Serve as Vice Chairperson of the Steering Committee.
c. The Secretary shall have the following duties and
1) Record and keep a record of the proceedings of the meetings
of the Caucus and the Steering Committee
2) Report such
proceedings and reports as stipulated by the Caucus or the officers
3) Establish and maintain a record of the officers and committee
4) Serve as Secretary on the Steering Committee
5) Secure and maintain an updated copy of the Bylaws and
Standing Rules of the AFT P&J.
d. The Treasurer shall have the following duties and
1) Receive, record and disburse all monies of the Caucus
2) Maintain the financial accounts of the organization.
3) Shall have membership oversight to include maintaining back
up electronic copy of the roster of members (which includes a
mailing list) of the AFT P&J.
4) Make a financial report at all meetings of the caucus and
steering committee and any others that may be required.
5) Disburse all checks with the Chairperson's knowledge
6) Recommend the budget to the Steering Committee and the
7) To have fundraising oversight
5. Term of Office
a. In accordance with the Constitution of the AFT P&J,
officers will be elected at the Annual Meeting to serve a two-year
b. The Chairperson and Secretary shall be elected in odd years.
c. The Vice Chairperson and Treasurer shall be elected in even
d. No officer shall serve more than two successive terms of
ARTICLE IV. ANNUAL MEETING
1. There shall be at least an annual meeting of the AFT P&J
Caucus s at the same time as one of the AFT Conventions
2. The annual Meeting shall have the following powers and
a. To serve as the policy-forming body of the AFT P&J
b. To elect the officers
c. To adopt the annual budget
d. To act on annual reports
e. To approve resolutions and platforms
ARTICLE V. COMMITTEES
1. The Caucus and the Steering Committee may form such
standing and special committees as deemed necessary to further the
business of the Caucus.
3. Such committees will be responsible to the Caucus and the
ARTICLE VI. FISCAL POWERS
Membership dues that are collected shall enable members to be
part of the AFT P&J
ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENTS
All amendments to this document must be approved by a 2/3
majority of those voting at the Annual Meeting in order to be