Peace and Justice Caucus
AFT Peace and Justice Caucus activists, together with a lot of other progressive delegates, played an important role in the passage of resolutions at the 2008 American Federation of Teachers (AFT) convention in Chicago, July 11-14 that promoted and extended the principles in our caucus' mission statement. Most notable were:
1. Two major anti-war resolutions: (1) "Against the Current U.S. Policy of Permanent and 'Pre-emptive War;" and (2) "Opposing U.S. Expansion of the War into Iran." Click here to read the resolutions.
2. SUPPORT FOR SINGLE-PAYER UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE and "the passage of HR 676."
3. AN IMMIGRATION RESOLUTION calling for an end to ICE raids and deportations and for schools to become sanctuary zones for immigrants and their families.
4. AN ANTI-RACISM RESOLUTION entitled "A Teachers' Campaign Against racism and in Defense of the 'Jena 6.'" There was also a resolution passed supporting a national holiday in honor of Cesar Chavez.
5. SUPPORT FOR PUERTO RICAN TEACHERS against government repression of a massive teachers' strike.
back to top